*Manchester Township Police Department Announces Entrance Examination for the Position of Patrolman And/Or Class II SLEO*
The Manchester Township Police Physical Agility Test will commence on Sunday, January 28, 2018. Reporting times will be assigned upon completed in-person registration. Please read all registration information carefully and have all documents prepared before coming to police headquarters.
All applicants for the position of Patrolman and/or Class II SLEO must:
- Must be a resident of New Jersey and a citizen of the United States;
- Must be between 18 and 35 years of age;
- Must possess a minimum of an Associates degree or two years of full-time college credits (64 credits). Credits or degrees must be recognized by the American Council on Education as listed in Accredited Institutions of Post secondary Education. Active military service may be substituted and/or used in conjunction with college credit for a total of two years of education and/or active military service. Active military service credit will be granted at a rate equivalent to 2.67 college credits for each full month (30 days) of active military service completed.
- NOTE: A candidate with 50 approved college credits may participate in the testing process. If the candidate successfully completes all test sections, he/she would not be eligible for hire until they accumulate another 14 or more approved college credits. Once the minimum college requirement and all other hiring requirements are met, the candidate would move to the eligible for hire list.
- Must have the ability to perform all the tasks, duties, and essential job functions of a police officer;
- Must possess a valid New Jersey driver’s license;
- Must have no criminal history and possess a good moral character.
- Registration must be made in person at Manchester Township Police Headquarters,
1 Colonial Drive, Manchester, NJ, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Registration will begin on Monday, November 27, 2017, and end on Thursday, January 25, 2018, at 4 p.m. Registration is limited to the first 250 applicants.
Documents/Items Required to Register
- Completed Typed Employment Application (Handwritten applications will not be accepted): Click Here for Application
- Copy of Photo Identification
- $75.00 Registration Fee (Check or Money Order Only) Payable to Manchester Township Police Department
- Injury Waiver (Print But Do Not Sign Until in Presence of Records Personnel): Click Here for Waiver
Physical Agility Test Information
This phase of the examination process consists of the following exercises in the following order with little to no rest between exercises: pull-ups, sit-ups, push-ups, squat thrusts, and a one mile run. In order to pass the physical agility examination, a minimum combined score of 250 must be attained.
Included below is a copy of the scoring sheet and it is highly recommended that applicants practice the exercises in the order listed above to achieve the best possible score on the day of the test. Example: under the second column of the enclosed score sheet are pull-ups. If you are able to perform nine pull-ups, you will note that you would receive 45 points for that exercise. The goal is to amass a minimum of 250 POINTS.
Three of the events are timed. You are allotted TWO minutes to perform as many sit-ups as possible, ONE minute to perform as many squat-thrusts as possible, and the time necessary to complete the one-mile run. The pull-up and push-up exercises are not timed. Those candidates successfully obtaining scores of 250 or better will be required to pass a boxing phase which will commence immediately after each candidates score is calculated. Be advised that each exercise will be performed with little to no rest between them.
It is required that all candidates wear appropriate athletic attire. This will include a white t-shirt or white sweat shirt, blue or black gym shorts or warm-up pants, sneakers, boxing style mouth guard and athletic supporter. Boxing gear will be provided.
Those applicants who successfully pass the Physical Agility Test and boxing phase will move on to the Written Examination, scheduled for Thursday, February 8, 2018, at 6 p.m. Those applicants will receive additional information and a Written Examination Study Guide prior to leaving the test area.
Police Officer candidates must pass a written examination, physical fitness test, and an oral evaluation. After successful completion of these tests, the candidate will undergo a rigorous background investigation which will include the following: verification of qualifying credentials, review of criminal, civil and motor vehicle records, a review of the candidate’s financial history, the verification of at least three personal references, a review and investigation of the applicant’s social status and lastly, a review of the applicant’s employment history.
Upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment, a medical examination to include a drug screening and psychological evaluation will be conducted.
The Manchester Township Police Department offers challenging and rewarding careers for those who are committed to serving the public. A career as a Manchester Township Police Officer offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits, enrollment in the Police and Fireman’s Retirement System and continuous training and education.
Manchester Township is an Equal Opportunity Employer which generally conducts police officer entrance examinations once every two to three years. Once a police officer candidate list is established, it remains in effect for two years however the list may be extended for an additional year at the discretion of the Chief of Police.