Firearms Application & Registration System (FARS) Application Procedures for Applicants
Step 1: Visit this website. You MUST enter the site address as follows:
**Please note this site/portal is not administered by the Manchester Township Police Department**
Step 2: Manchester Township Police Department ORI# is NJ0151800
(You will NOT be able to complete the FARS online application WITHOUT THIS ORI#)
Step 3: Complete the online application. You may complete the application using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. When completing the application you will need the email addresses of two (2) reputable references. Your references can be family members. Print a copy of your application and confirmation page.
Step 4: After you complete your online application, you will be contacted via email by the Manchester Police Department for further instructions.
* You will be receiving automated email updates throughout new process.
* Once your application is complete, a Manchester representative will contact you.
* Please advise your references that the FARS system will email them the reference questions to be answered. Your references can complete the questions using a smartphone, mobile device, laptop, or desktop computer. Please advise them to complete the questions immediately to progress your background investigation.
* The online application is APPLICANT DRIVEN. Please ensure that you have entered the best phone numbers for yourself and references as well as the best email address for yourself and references.
The new online application is APPLICANT DRIVEN. If the applicant makes a mistake while applying, they simply can RE-APPLY. The applicant should understand that all application fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. The applicant MUST utilize the correct ORI (NJ0151800) for the Manchester Township Police Department.
1. FARS has replaced paper applications.
2. This system has been mandated by the Governor’s Office to expedite the process and provide accountability for the length of time an application may take to process.
3. The applicant MUST enter their “Official Name.” They cannot utilize simplified versions of their names (Joe vs. Joseph).
4. Applicants must enter accurate phone numbers and emails for themselves and their references.
5. Family members can be references.
6. After the applicant enters all required information, a REVIEW PAGE appears where the applicant can edit all information entered into the application prior to final submission.
7. An INITIAL APPLICANT must be fingerprinted. Please follow the online instructions.
8. The applicant should also print both the confirmation page and application at the end of the process. This is for quick reference in the event of an issue and a copy must be provided.
9. No payment is taken from initial applicants by FARS. Only 212A applicants will pay at the end of their online application process. Applicants are instructed to bring payment for initial FID card and any permits to the Manchester Township Police Department.
10. Effective with applications filed on or after 10/01/2020, E-Permits will be issued by the FARS system. Payment for your permits must be made prior to your application being approved.
11. For additional firearms regulations and procedural information, please visit the New Jersey State Police website: http://www.njsp.org/about/firearms.html
FIREARMS APPLICANT FEE SCHEDULE:
Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card: Check or money order payable to: Township of Manchester in the amount of $5.00. **We do not accept cash**
Permits to Purchase a Handgun: Check or money order payable to: Township of Manchester in the amount of $2.00 per permit. **We do not accept cash**
Application for a Duplicate Firearms Purchaser Identification Card: There is no fee for a Duplicate Firearms Purchaser Identification Card. (Change of Address, Name, Sex, Lost or Stolen FID card).
The Records Section is open from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday (except holidays).